With the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting coming to Philadelphia at the end of January, we decided to begin compiling lists of Philly-related things (probably mostly food) to help our librarian friends navigate the city. This won’t be a comprehensive list but a selection of places easy to get to from the Convention Center area.
We’ll add new posts as we cover different topics but will aggregate all our information on our Midwinter 2014 page.
If you’re coming to Philly for the conference, feel free to ask us any questions. We’d be happy to answer or point you in the right direction.
Why go to a chain coffee shop when Philadelphia has a great local coffee scene? Here are a few suggestions for coffee shops not too far from the convention center:
- Old City Coffee (Reading Terminal Market) roasts on premises. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-6:00pm, Sun 9:00-5:00pm.
- La Colombe (1414 South Penn Square, 130 South 19th St) is the most well known of Philadelphia’s local roasters. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-7:00pm
- Toast (1201 Spruce St) features Philly Fair Trade coffee, locally roasted in Philadelphia. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-6:00pm.
- Green Street (1101 Spruce St) features their own coffee, locally roasted in Philadelphia. Open Mon-Fri 6:00am-8:00pm, Sat 7:00am-8:00pm, Sun 8:00am-8:00pm.
- Elixr (207 S. Sydenham St) is a great spot for a pour-over with a variety of high quality coffees. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-8:00pm, Sun 8:00am-7:00pm.
- Plenty (1602 Spruce St) features coffee from Rival Bros, ReAnimator, and La Colombe, all locally roasted in Philadelphia. Open Mon-Thurs 6:00am-9:00pm, Fri 6:00am-10:00pm, Sat 7:00am-10:00pm, Sun 7:00am-8:00pm.
- Green Line (136 S. 15th St) features organic and free trade coffee, and tasty snacks. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-6:00pm, Sat 9:00am-3:00pm, closed Sundays.
- Good Karma (928 Pine St) features fair trade coffee from Equal Exchange and Philadelphia-based One Village, as well as breakfast bagels, salads, and sandwiches. Open daily 7:00am-10:00pm.
- Ray’s (141 N. 9th St) features premium syphon-prepared coffee, Taiwanese tea, and is also a delicious place for Chinese food. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:30am-9:00pm, closed Sundays.