With the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting coming to Philadelphia at the end of January, we decided to begin compiling lists of Philly-related things (probably mostly food) to help our librarian friends navigate the city. This won’t be a comprehensive list but a selection of places easy to get to from the Convention Center area.
We’ll add new posts as we cover different topics but will aggregate all our information on our Midwinter 2014 page.
If you’re coming to Philly for the conference, feel free to ask us any questions. We’d be happy to answer or point you in the right direction.
Where to Buy Booze
Philadelphia has some great BYOB restaurants, or you might just want some wine or beer to enjoy in your hotel room during the conference. PA has wacky liquor laws, so not only can you not buy wine at the nearest Trader Joe’s like in a normal city, you also can’t buy wine and beer at the same place. For wine and liquor, you’ll have to go to a state store (“Fine Wine & Good Spirits“), and for beer you’ll have to go to a specialty market. Here are our recommendations based on proximity to the Convention Center:
- There is a state store near the Convention Center (5 North 12th St, open Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, closed Sun), but the selection is pretty basic. For a better wine selection, head to the “Super Store” at 1218 Chestnut St (open 9am-9pm Mon-Sat, 12-5pm Sun), or for more of a boutique wine selection check out the wine shop inside Garces Trading Company, 1111 Locust St (open 11am-10pm Mon-Sat, closed Sun)
- The Foodery at 324 S 10th St is a great place to pick up craft beer by the bottle. Their sibling The Corner Foodery at 1710 Sansom St is a little farther away but also has draft beer available by the growler in addition to a good bottle selection. You can get a mixed six-pack at either store.
- For more beer options, Drink Philly has a list of six pack stores in Philadelphia.
- The state store has an app (iPhone | Android) that includes a store locator feature to help you find the store nearest you.
- Coffee Shops in Philadelphia #alamw14
- Wine in Philadelphia #alamw14
- Craft Beer in Philadelphia #alamw14
- Restaurants in Philadelphia #alamw14
- Cocktails in Philadelphia #alamw14